ATR - At-The-Risers
Freedom Machinery & Accessories / Chopped Out
Hell on Wheels MC
Petersen Automotive Museum
Small City Cycles
The Speed Age Blog!
Friday, April 21, 2017
Sunday, April 16, 2017
The road to the Steak House circa 1949 to early 1950's. (picture comes courtesy of the OC Archives)
Photo of the Steak House Indian Room circa 1949 (courtesy of the OC Archives)
Rare picture of the less photographed right-hand side of the Indian Room courtesy of the OC Archives.
Real Photo Post Card (RPPC) back showing it was printed at the Ghost Town "Pitchur Gallery"
This picture above appears to be the earliest Kodachrome (color) image of the Steak House Indian Room circa 1949 (courtesy of OC Archives)
This is the earliest color brochure photo I've been able to locate of the Indian Room of the Steak House from the 35 page booklet entitled "Knott's Berry Farm and Ghost Town - Buena Park, CA" from 1949.
Scale diorama of the Buffalo Steak House most likely circa 1945-1946 (note Indian Room at the upper left-hand side of model - from jericl cat on Flickr)
Family eating in the Indian Room of Steak House circa 1949 - 1950 courtesy of the OC Archives.
Original Chief White Horse Eagle art photo courtesy of the OC Archives.
2. Chief White Horse Eagle - measuring 5'-0" wide x 6'-0" high with added wooden board frame (mid 1950's addition) Note: Rain in the Face name tag is incorrect and was likely switched years ago with the Rain the the Face painting mistakenly while in the Knott's archive.
Steak House Indian Room circa 1955 showing the wooden backing board frames newly added to the paintings.
Beautiful Steak House Indian Room color photo circa early 1960's courtesy of the OC Archives.
3. Sitting Bull (Chief) - measuring 4'-0" wide x 5'-0" high. Name tag must have been lost while in storage in the Knott's archive but likely read: "Sitting Bull 1834 - 1883. The great chief of the Sioux Tribe" (see second picture called Art in Indian Room).
6. John Big Tree (Chief of the Seneca Nation) - my best guess is this painting measures 4'-0" high x 5'-0" wide. Interesting to note, Big Tree claimed to be the sole model of James Earl Fraser's famous sculpture, "End of Trail." This picture is courtesy of the OC Archives' Knott's Berry Farm Collection.
Close up of the John Big Tree painting in the Party Room.
Above is a photo of the original Chief John Big Tree painting as it hung in the Party Room, adjacent to the Indian Room (picture comes courtesy of the OC Archives)
Navaho Maiden painting's location circa 1949 with wood cross back frame only (courtesy of OC Archives)
You can can see the Navaho Maiden's position on the wall here circa the mid 1950's or early 1960's with the wooden backing frame (photo comes courtesy of the OC Archives)
10. Acomas Dancing Buffalo Hop - Arizona - Appears to be the 10th and final painting by Paul Von Klieben in the Indian Room. Interestingly the 1949 brochure states there are twelve paintings by Von Klieben inside the room so I'm not sure what the other two are? (this picture and the one below come courtesy of the OC Archives)
All auction images come courtesy of Heritage Auctions and video below comes courtesy of the OC Archives.
Paul Von Klieben's spectacular Indian Maiden painting above and below was used on the 1951 updated Knott's Steak House Menu. I'd love to see the original painting from this brochure as it is by far my favorite of all the Von Klieben Indian paintings. (Pictures above and below are courtesy of the OC Archives)
Indian Maiden menus are set out on tables here in the Garden Room circa 1952 (photo courtesy of OC Archives)
Paul Von Klieben was Knott's art director and painter from 1941 to his death in 1953 (picture from Ghost Town News # 5 from June 1942) (courtesy of the OC Archives)
Saturday, April 15, 2017
- Paul Von Klieben's "Main Street Ghost Town" Painti...
- Knott's Steak House Indian Room Paintings by Paul ...
- Original Knott's Calico Log Ride Concept Model (19...
- Knott's Berry Farm "Come & Get It" Video - 1961
- Knott's Steak House Menu - 1949
- Knott's Berry Farm Steakhouse Menu - 1957
- Knott's Berry Farm Photo History - 1940's - Early ...
- Portrait of a Sailor
- ▼ April (8)
- ► 2016 (248)
- ► 2015 (121)
- ► 2014 (242)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (96)
- ► 2011 (327)
- ► 2010 (568)
- ► 2009 (482)
Nostalgia's Weekly Favorites
The road to the Steak House circa 1949 to early 1950's. (picture comes courtesy of the OC Archives ) Steak House Register Room ...
Picture comes courtesy of the OC Archives .
LOG RIDE CONCEPT MODEL (1967) LOG RIDE AS CONSTRUCTED (1969)
Both of these photos came from a late 60s Men's Magazine article on the Hells Angels.
This video about Food Service, Candy Making, and the Preserves Line comes courtesy of the OC Archives . (Photo above also from the O...
Greycat - Nomads Monkey - Ironhorsemen Henry - Ironhorsemen Terry the Tramp - Oakland Animal - Oakland Beautiful Buzzard Angel Mexica...
This is some pretty handy information from the Lightning Red Wing Book 2!